This savory Bacon & Sweet Potato Skillet isn't just for breakfast but also makes for a great side dish for a hearty evening meal or Thanksgiving feast. 5 ingredients and 25 minutes are all you need to whip up this easy one-skillet dish.
You're not aware of it yet, but this Bacon & Sweet Potato Skillet is your new favorite breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. And here's why:
1. Bacon & Sweet Potato Skillet is dead simple to prepare and cheap.
2. As this is an easy one-skillet dinner, there'll be only one skillet to clean. And who likes to do the dishes? Nobody. Guys, did you know we don't have a dishwasher? Yes. True story. Sometimes, I feel like I spend my whole day washing dishes. Arghhh.
3. Sweet potatoes are full of good nutrients = your body will thank you. So go ahead and stuff your face with it (I know that's what I did)
4. My Sweet Potato Skillet is ridiculously good. Simply delicious. I even dare to say it's better than roasted potatoes.
WHAT? Well, to my defense, sweet potatoes are not really common in France. You can find some but really, only a few people consume them. I kept seeing sweet potato recipes on blogs and Pinterest but really, they didn't appeal to me.
For me, it was as tempting as turnips. That is to say: not at all. How wrong I was! Things changed when we moved to Australia - where sweet potatoes are available - and we decided to consume white potatoes only on very rare occasions.
My first attempt with sweet potatoes was sweet potato oven fries. Oh god, it was love at first sight. Or rather, love at first bite. Now I'm making up for lost time and became a heavy sweet potatoes consumer. Be prepared because this recipe for Bacon Sweet Potato Skillet won't be the only one!
If you tried this Bacon & Sweet Potato Skillet, don’t forget to rate the recipe below and let me know how it went in the comments – I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for more deliciousness and behind-the-scenes!
Bacon and Sweet Potato Skillet
This savory Bacon & Sweet Potato Skillet isn't just for breakfast but also makes for a great side dish for a hearty evening meal or Thanksgiving feast. Five ingredients and 25 minutes is all you need to whip up this comforting one-skillet dish.
- 3 slices bacon large slices, most of the external fat removed, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- dried herbs of your choice optional
Start by preparing the bacon and the sweet potatoes. Remove most of the visible fat from bacon but leave just enough to use as cooking fat. Chop it into small pieces. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into even-sized cubes.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add bacon and cook until it releases some fat. Add sweet potatoes to the skillet and stir to cover with bacon fat. Season with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and herbs if using.
Cook until sweet potato cubes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, about 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of your skillet and your stove, stirring often to make sure it doesn't burn and cooks evenly.
In my opinion, using kosher salt (or a salt with a bigger grain than regular salt) and freshly ground pepper in a must!